Sunday, April 22, 2012

Open Door Policy

Tiong Bahru area is becoming quite the hippie hangout place to be. Plenty of cafes and dining spots are mushrooming like crazy over there. I've checked out a few cafes around the area (with some more in mind!), and when my friends suggested having dinner at Open Door Policy, I was all game for it.

Open Door Policy


ODP is a relatively new bistro at Yong Siak Street (nearest MRT - Tiong Bahru) serving Western fare. We heard that it's quite a popular spot, so we had made reservations beforehand. When we arrived at 7pm, the restaurant was just barely half-full. But it filled up pretty quickly when we were having our dinner though. So yeps, reservations recommended.


Girlfriends and I decided to order a few dishes to share. We started with the steak tartare, which was served alongside truffle chips and some toasted bread. Nothing too fantastic about the truffle chips - it seems to be regular potato chips, with just a faint hint of truffle scent. The steak tartare was not bad, and I liked the charred bread slices!

There were limited choices for the mains, and we ordered the lamb confit puff pastry pizetta, the chilli crab pasta and the braised beef cheek. Surprisingly, all three of us had a favourite (and it was all different!), so halfway through sampling, we just parked each of our favourite in front of ourselves and just polished off the rest.

My favourite was...of course, the beef cheek. I'm not particularly fond of lamb (and duck for that matter too), and I felt that the chilli crab pasta didn't really had a chilli crab flavour. Gimme a cow anytime. I'm on. ;)


We weren't very wowed by the quality of food here, and the desserts selection was not tempting us, so we walked over to try Drips. Alas, they had ran outta any of the good stuff (read: fresh fruit tarts!), so we popped by The Orange Thimble to have some dessert instead (they didn't have a wide selection either, sigh).

I'm not sure whether I'll revisit ODP, but perhaps I'll check out their brunch menu some day? We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. the food is HORRIBLE!!!!! and the service too. i wont be going back for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...